So first I went on Amazon and picked up some movie posters:
After looking at more pictures online for inspiration, I decided I really wanted to have a floating balloon house, too. But I didn't see anything that I could buy, so I decided to make my own. I had seen some cool projects made with paper and Mod Podge, and I wanted to try it out. So I picked up some Mod Podge, scrapbook paper, and 1/32" plywood up at Michael's and went to work.
First, I looked at pictures of the house and designed my own version out of shapes on graph paper. I cut out the paper, and used it as a stencil to cut the plywood with an X-Acto knife.
Then I Mod Podged the paper onto the plywood, and glued the plywood pieces together with Titebond III. It worked pretty well, except I used a bit too much glue. I ended up having to scrape some off and redo the paper for the roof. But it turned out well.
For the balloons, I bought a bunch of 3" wood circles, and Mod Podged tons of different patterns of scrapbook paper onto them. When everything was dry, I spent some time arranging them all together on the floor.
Doug mounted the house and balloons to the wall with these picture hanging strips.
Finally, I used floral wire for the ballon strings--I pushed one end of each wire into the foam board, and the other end behind the house.
We are pretty happy with the end result! If I were to do it again, I think I could do a more professional job if I drew the house in Tinkercad and used a ShopBot at MakerWorks to cut the wood. Hopefully I can find the time to take a ShopBot class soon!
A photo of the finished nursery: